1,000 signatures reached
To: President Joe Biden, DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas
Biden & Mayorkas: Stop Deportations Now!
President Joe Biden and DHS Secretary Mayorkas should take the following steps to immediately reduce deportations, stop the harms to immigrant communities, and hold Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) accountable.
1) Grant Stays of Removal to all individuals facing deportation and conduct a review to release every person currently in detention.
2) Close detention facilities and end the use of private prisons and state and local jails
3) Stop fusing policing with mass deportation by ending the 287(g) program, the Secure Communities program, and the use of ICE detainers
4) Stop using the U.S. court system to criminalize immigrant communities by ending Operation Streamline and all prosecutions for entry and re-entry, conducting a review of the hundreds of thousands immigration court cases pending, and working with ICE attorneys and the DOJ to make sure non-priority deportation cases are closed.
5) Adopt prosecutorial discretion guidelines that provide relief from hyper-criminalization, not more punishment
6) Allow people seeking asylum at the southern border to enter the country—instead of detaining or turning them away
These demands have been put together by “We Are Home,” a coalition of 70+ immigrant rights organizations working to make sure the first 100 days of the Biden administration includes actions that stop the harms to immigrant communities.
We are also inviting Sec. Mayorkas to attend the We Are Home Coalition’s national Truth and Accountability forum at the end of the 100-day period to answer questions from impacted communities around the country and report on his progress in meeting these demands.
Why is this important?
Despite the deportation moratorium and comprehensive immigration review that he announced on his first day in office, a staggering 26,248 people were deported in President Biden’s first month alone. It is unacceptable that Trump-era immigration policies continue to be weaponized against our communities under the Biden administration. Sign the petition now to call on President Biden and Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas to stop criminalizing, deporting, and tearing apart immigrant communities, and hold ICE and CBP accountable.