100 signatures reached
To: President Robert C. Fischer and Chairman Marty Dickens
Declare Belmont University a Sanctuary Campus
Belmont University provides students from all backgrounds with the opportunity to gain access to higher education, something increasingly vital in our world. As a private, student-centered teaching university, Belmont's mission is to empower "men and women of diverse backgrounds to engage and transform the world with disciplined intelligence, compassion, courage and faith." (http://www.belmont.edu/about/mission.html) This mission is now threatened as President-Elect Donald Trump's transition team discusses such measures as a registration system for Muslim Americans and the deportation of three million undocumented residents, measures which go against everything Belmont University stands for. Join us in demanding that Belmont remain safe for all students by:
1. Cutting ties with all law enforcement agencies that collaborate with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE) and Customs and Border Patrol (CBP)
2. Refusing law enforcement agencies who collaborate with ICE access to any Belmont properties or information
3. Instituting a policy prohibiting campus security from inquiring about immigration status, enforcing immigration laws, or participating with ICE/CBP in actions.
4. Refusing to cooperate with any 'registration' system that seeks to target or surveil Muslims
5. Publicly declaring Belmont University a Sanctuary Campus
Why is this important?
All students have a right to safety at their university. A campus where students fear for their safety is a campus which promotes divisiveness rather than the collaboration and integrity which Belmont holds as core values. We will stand together with our Muslim, Black, Latinx, LGBTQ, undocumented, women, Jewish, and immigrant family, friends, classmates, and coworkers.